"What is she gonna talk about now?"

Basically, I've always been the "fat friend", the "fat cousin", the "fat ____" you fill in the blank. Started gaining when I was young, around 8 or 9 years old. From then on I just kept getting bigger and bigger. I can diet and lose weight, but I can't keep it off by myself. I did this surgery to feel better. To be healthier. To give myself a chance to live longer. I want to know what it feels like to walk the mall without breathing hard and feeling like I'm gonna keel over! I want to ride bikes with my family. I'm going to be successful this time.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Can't Believe It Happened!

So last Wed, 7/10/13, I officially became a post op!!  From the sounds of it, my surgery and hospitalization went very routinely and I'm so grateful for that.
I had to be at the hospital by 8:30 am and the surgery was scheduled to start between 10 and 11. The preop nurses had me change into this cool gown that can attach to a hose that blows warm air into it to help keep you warm. The anesthesiologist warmed me up before knocking me out on the table. What a cool thing! Anyway, I sat in a recliner chilling with my hubby in one of the little preop rooms while waiting for surgery. While there they hooked my IV up and got my heart monitor pads on and did a vitals check. My surgeon and the anesthesiologist both came in and talked to me and answered questions and really helped me feel at ease. Then when it was time to go one of the nurses walked me back to the OR. I've never had a surgery where you walked yourself to the OR table. lol My surgeon introduced everyone in the room and helped me get up on the table. At this point, I'm ready to cry from all the nerves. She explained again what was happening (I guess so you can get up and run if you chicken out! LOL ) and then held my hand the entire time until I was knocked out. She is such a sweet, compassionate doctor.
A couple hours later I started waking up in recovery. Boy, that was not fun. My throat was on fire and I couldn't really talk. I was in a ton of pain from the incisions. I remember a nurse telling me she will give me pain meds and then I must have fallen back to sleep. Next thing I remember is being whooshed over onto another bed with that thing they put under you then blow up when they transfer large patients to another bed. OUCH! The nurse explained I was in my own room now and told me to push the button on the pain pump whenever I needed to. I pushed that button more times than I can remember. lol 
Over the next 24 hours I sucked on ice chips and slept, basically. And walked, walked, walked. I was taking pills fine, although it was tricky to swallow them without taking a big gulp of water. I peed on my own from the start because, to my delight, they do not use catheters anymore. I was released the day after surgery and had a loooong hour ride home on bumpy freeways, but made it by hugging a pillow tight to me.
Since then I've been drinking, walking and resting. The pain has really gotten better, in fact, better enough I'm only taking regular Tylenol now. I was given liquid Lortab to come home with and it was helpful in the beginning for sure. I'm not getting all my protein in yet, but they told me to concentrate on liquids for right now to stave off dehydration. I'm working hard on that. Drinking is not as hard as I thought it would be, thankfully, so I'm keeping hydrated.
I'm tolerating about a 1/4 cup of food at meal times. So far I've tolerated cottage cheese, no sugar added applesauce, creamed soups that are strained and vanilla Greek yogurt. All of these are on my doctor's full liquid plan. Tonight I think I'm going to try some very thinned refried beans with some melted cheese on top. I'm trying all kinds of liquid protein shake samples. It's not easy finding one that is truly good! I'll keep at it. At least I'm getting some protein in while I try.
I feel like I'm really lucky that everything is going so well. I'm on this new journey that is going to make my health and life better and I couldn't have asked for a better start!

No comments: